STEM EDUCATION: Beneficiary for School Curriculum
STEM education shows that education can be applied in daily life. Integrative study of STEM subjects has emerged from STEM education, which makes the learning of subjects more comfortable for the student to understand and for the teacher to teach.
When the concept of science, technology, engineering and mathematics is connected or formulated practically, it motivates and engages the student in better or critical thinking through the scenarios of real-world experiences.
It is beneficial for teachers to teach by using models or charts, as the student can quickly get the concept which would not engage the teacher in the continuous repetition of the concept.
STEM education helps youngsters to learn through experiences, creativity, critical thinking or communication. Also, the STEM Curriculum helps students in decreasing the number of chapters in their books and gives primary importance to testing anxiety.
How STEM Education helps teachers?
STEM makes it easy for teachers to explain principles and methods of instruction to the students. It is harder for teachers to explain a concept without any design or model. STEM education prefers that a student should be taught by using models and designs. By using models or real-world examples, it becomes easier for the teacher to teach the subject.
To keep a student connected to the concept, it is the responsibility of a teacher to teach in such a method that the student does not feel bored. It inspires teachers to teach the subjects innovatively.
Specific training programs are also organized for teachers by which they are prepared and can teach the concept. The training program trains the teachers so that they can educate students in a very good manner.
While dealing with a complex subject, most of the teachers face a problem as it requires much time and effort. Here technology can play a huge role, as the occasional use of educational films and quizzes can help in lessening their complexity. Also, it is easy for educational films and quizzes to grab the attention of students. It is one of the best teaching techniques.
How STEM Education helps students?
STEM education is a source of gaining knowledge and an eminent approach to learning with lessons of real-world. It provides the student with scientific or technological ways of education. It encourages the overall development of a child through STEM courses taught by STEM education. The STEM education aims to increase the temper of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in STEM students. Here are some benefits provided to the students through STEM courses:
- Nurtures Creativity: While learning a STEM course, a student develops a habit of creating new ideas. Now the world is becoming more techno-friendly because the human mind is becoming more creative. STEM education also encourages students to showcase their creativity. Creativity and STEM education go hand in hand, which further leads to a creative future.
- Encourages Experimentation: For technological advancement, experiments must be performed as STEM courses teach its students to perform as much as an experiment so that innovative or creative technology is invented. Every subject requires experimentation, and STEM provides it from the very beginning age of the young mind. It also builds risk-taking ability in students to accomplish their task.
- Builds Problem Solving Skills: Using critical thinking skills, the student learns to solve problems in his/ her pathway. STEM experience teaches the student to examine the problem and then find a solution to the problem.
- Understanding Skills and Analyzing Skills: STEM Students are taught with various skills in STEM courses, which motivates them to learn more techniques. By learning more techniques, they develop understanding skills and analyzing skills.
- Tech-friendly: STEM education makes a child more tech-friendly. As the world is becoming tech-centred, for this purpose, a student is expected to learn technology.
What is Consolidated Learning?
STEM education ensures that the students are not limited to comprehensive learning or a traditional form of education; it also ensures that the student is enshrined with real-world experiences. It encourages the student to learn through the environment or scientific method, which they can further apply in everyday life. STEM education is provided to the students at a very young age:
- Elementary School: In this school, a STEM course is the primary focus of STEM educators. The school is the initial step towards providing awareness about the STEM fields. The students are taught in a structured or standard-based manner with real-world problem-based learning. The school aims to create an interest in students for STEM education. The courses are not more rigorous in nature in this school.
- Middle School: It is taken care of that the interest of the student continues for science, technology, engineering and mathematical subjects. Student awareness of the STEM field is still the primary focus, but the STEM course becomes more challenging and rigorous as compared to the Elementary School. In this school, fields in STEM courses, and STEM careers are explored, and the STEM courses are pursued.
- High School: After the exploration of fields enshrined in STEM courses in the previous school, the High School focuses on the application of subjects in the course. The school focuses on the manner of study in a more rigorous or challenging way. By this time, the student is ready to flourish in other pathways of preparing for employment and post-secondary education. The school aims to encourage STEM students for opportunities out of the school in the STEM field.
As STEM education is new in the education system, so the STEM curriculum is designed in such a manner that it will elevate the ratio of literacy. The STEM curriculum was needed to be designed in such form so that the children from slum areas or backward areas can pursue their dream or STEM education.
Education plays a major role in the life of a human being, without which a person cannot live a good life. Also, the ratio of female candidates has always been less in the education field, so it would also encourage the under-representation population to pursue their career through STEM education. Nowadays, many schools are implementing STEM learning in their curriculum, which would have students in the future.